Ship Arago 

ARAGO 1855
2,240 gross tons, length 295ft x beam 40ft, clipper bows, wooden hull, two funnels, two masts, side paddle wheel propulsion, speed 12 knots, accommodation for 350 passengers. Built by A. Westervelt & Sons, New York (engines by Novelty iron Works, New York) for the New York and Havre Steam Navigation Co, she was launched on 27th Jan.1855 and left New York on 2nd Jun.1855 on her maiden voyage to Southampton and Havre. Her last Havre - Southampton - New York crossing started 12th Dec.1861 before she was chartered to the U.S. War Department. Returned to her owners, she resumed Atlantic voyages on 25th Nov.1865 when she left New York for Falmouth and Havre. On 30th Oct.1867 she commenced her last Havre - Falmouth - New York sailing and on 5th Sep.1868 started New York - Bremen voyages under charter to Ruger's American Line. A second voyage on this route started in Feb.1869 and she was then sold to Peru. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.1,p.216 by N.R.P.Bonsor]